FAQs - Service

How Do I End My Service & Close My Account?

Customers who wish to discontinue their utility services must notify the main office by phone or use the Start/Stop Service page to request disconnection. The notification should be made at least 3 days in advance of the intended date to provide adequate time to finalize the account. The final bill will be rendered in the next billing cycle.

Please note that if a customer fails to notify Peru Utilities, the service will remain in the name of the customer who signed for services until notification of non-residency is received.

Am I Required to Maintain The Area Near My Meters?

It is the customer’s responsibility to keep all trees, bushes or shrubs trimmed away from meters and lines so that they are at least two feet from the wires and meters to allow for ease of meter reading. If our personnel are unable to read the meter for three consecutive months due to growth, enclosures, pets, etc., services are subject to disconnection without notice until access is restored.

What Documentation Must I Bring to Apply For Service?

All applicants are required to provide proof of identification to obtain or transfer service. A driver’s license is preferred.

In addition: Renters must show a rent receipt or lease agreement, new property owners must provide a legal description of the property, individuals buying property on contract must provide a copy of the contract and mobile home park occupants must provide a lot rent receipt.

We require that all unmarried adults listed on the rent receipt or lease agreement sign the contract for service.

What Are the Deposit Amounts?
  • Residential customers with total electric service - $300
  • Residential customers with partial electric service - $200
  • Residential customers, Peru water service - $40
  • Residential customers, Grissom water service - $35
  • Residential customers, Peru or Grissom wastewater - $30

Commercial and industrial customers are charged two times the estimated average monthly bill. Peru Utilities retains the right to evaluate the actual billings for commercial and industrial customers and revise the deposits accordingly.

Must I Pay a Deposit to Begin Receiving Utility Services?

Customers having no previous credit history with Peru Utilities or any other utility service company must pay a deposit. New and existing customers who have received a disconnect notice from either Peru Utilities or their former utility supplier within the previous 12 months must pay a deposit.

Deposits may be waived for new customers who provide a letter of credit from a previous utility supplier that states that the customer has been a customer of that supplier for at least 12 consecutive months and has not received a disconnect notice from that supplier during the most recent 12 months. Deposits may also be waived for current customers wishing to transfer a service to another location provided that they have not had two or more late penalties or a disconnect within the most recent 12 months.

On Which Holidays Is The Office Closed?

Our business office is closed on the following Holidays:

  • New Years Day
  • Good Friday
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday After Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Day
What Are Your Office Hours?

The Business Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
Our customer service team can also be reached by phone Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., excluding holidays.

Utility crews are out as early as 7 a.m. or 7:30 a.m. depending upon the season, and generally work until 3:30 p.m. or 4 p.m. Emergency call charges apply for services after hours.