Skip to content
- Where a public sanitary or combined sewer is not available under the provisions of 50.03, the owner of all houses, buildings, or properties used for human occupancy, employment, business, recreation, or other purposes, situated within the city, is required at his expense to install suitable toilet facilities and sanitary building drains therein, and to connect the facilities directly with a private sewage disposal system complying with the provisions of this chapter.
- Before commencement of construction of a private wastewater disposal system, the owner shall first obtain a written permit signed by the City Building Inspector. The application for the permit shall be made on a form furnished by the City, with which the applicant shall supplement by any plans, specifications, and other information as are deemed necessary by the City Building Inspector. A permit and inspection fee shall be paid to the City Clerk-Treasurer at the time the application is filed.
- A permit for a private wastewater disposal system shall not become effective until the installation is completed to the satisfaction of the City. He shall be allowed to inspect the work at any stage of construction and, in any event, the applicant for the permit shall notify the City Building Inspector when the work is ready for final inspection, and before any underground portions are covered.
- The type, capacities, locations and layout of a private wastewater disposal system shall comply with all applicable Federal and State rules, regulations, and recommendations. No septic tank or cesspool shall be permitted to discharge to any natural outlet.
- At such time as a public sewer becomes available to a property served by a private wastewater disposal system as provided herein, a direct connection shall be made to the public sewer within 90 days as prescribed in 50.06, any septic tanks, cesspools, and private wastewater disposal facilities shall be abandoned, cleaned of sludge, and filled with clean bank-run gravel, dirt or other suitable material at the expense of the owner.
- The owner shall operate and maintain the private wastewater disposal facilities in a sanitary manner at all times. The owner shall reimburse the city for any costs or expenses incurred in the enforcement of this provision.